Date: 22 June 2021
Time: 5:00 - 6:30pm GMT +4
Available to all members of interstory, our professional network for people working in programs.
We are excited to host our first virtual Jeffersonian Dinner on interstory! The topic for this dinner (or breakfast/lunch) is: Scaling Programs and Scaling Impact.
What Is a Jeffersonian Dinner?
Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, bagan the Jeffersonian Dinner tradition in the 1700s at his home, Monticello. He enjoyed surrounding himself with a variety of thought leaders and wanted to encourage the exchange of ideas and diplomacy. Dinners were structured in a way that allowed for listening, learning, connection and inspiration through conversation; guests could speak one at a time, and each dinner focused on a single topic. This format allowed every person to hear what was being said - and for every person to have a chance to share without interruption.
- We will break into groups of about eight people to discuss the topic: Scaling Programs and Scaling Impact.
- In each group:
- Pick a Jefferson: The assigned “Jefferson” is, in a sense, the moderator or facilitator of the conversation. Usually this person sets the tone by speaking about the topic first, and then s/he ensures that the discussion stays on track and that each person gets a chance to talk uninterrupted.
- Set Expectations: 1) Everyone speaks one at a time. 2) Maintain confidentiality. 3) Any other expectations, as defined by the group.
- Engage in Conversation and Questions: We will follow the Jeffersonian Dinner format. This will be explained on the day of the event.
- Close the Dinner: We will follow the Jeffersonian Dinner format. This will be explained on the day of the event.
What to Bring
- A snack to nibble on! We are aware that it is not dinner time for everyone, so bring a food or beverage that suits your time of day.
- Three questions and a story (if you have one) about our topic: Scaling Programs and Scaling Impact.
Read More about Jeffersonian Dinners
- How a Jefferson Dinner Works (jeffersondinner.org)
- How to Host a Jeffersonian Dinner (Unreasonable)
- Gather with Purpose: How to Host a Jeffersonian Dinner (Purpose Generation)
- What Jefferson Can Teach You about Teamwork (Asana, Wavelength)
Do you know program, CSR, L&D and social sector professionals who would add value to and benefit from the interstory community and the discussion in this event? Invite them to interstory for free!